Tuesday 8 April 2014

HAWMC Day 8

Off to work! What advice would you give to those on the job search? How do
you juggle your job and a chronic illness? Any tips for the interview?

Hello folks,

Ah work, I am just going to get the advice right out of the way.

Interview is much like the Game of Thrones series, the job can be cut away from you while you stand there or before you even arrive. Unlike everyone dying, your pride and dignity just might.

The interview is an intense office political game, where you have not only make something pretty for people to see you may have add some gold stars to what you can do very well.

You are a number, I don't do numbers very well but I do know is that if you present something new to people they might see your name, and if you show you are beyond the one liners like loyal, team player, and can use a computer. You might get a shot at the person next up on the hiring list.

Nerves will kill you take your time and get your points out slowly with some pauses cause you know if it looks practised like a million times. Be prepared show your nerves during the questions asked cause well that is a good way to not be jittery in the beginning.

Expect everything as far a interviewing methods, it is no longer a one on one process. Expect having to wade through several people before getting to the end boss with the magic signing pen.

Dress like you are already working there, income questions I go for 10 to 15% lower than the actually wage posted, like tipping wanting work up the price of your value. Shoot to high and you will be dismissed for expecting way to much off the hop.

Be yourself, not a unfeeling robot.

Job searching is in fact a job, it sucks, it is stressful with tears and a whole heart full of disappointment. Get it, got it, good. In the end you will be hopefully in your chair surrounded by staplers and other pointy objects.

Advice done, I can't juggle thew that part is over, my health is chemically designed to pooch most jobs. Or each day is vastly different. Some days I could run a company other days I am removing gum from the sidewalk. Balance is the whole key. Focus on something you know well, can actually do and show you are eager and happy about it, and give a pinch of passion about something. Keeps them guessing and likely makes others around you have a reason to smile, and maybe even saving their jobs in return. I need to know the limits vs. the job description as energy and focus are key. If that vibe is not happening I might as well stay home.

Am I working, my job is working to get me up to snuff as high as I can go. It is a full time life living in this complex organic machine.

I can not deal with stress well, I kinda shut down if it is bad enough.

The perks my payment instant emotional release, I am happy being me, I have tons to offer people, no worries about being fired, low stress, sick days are a standard thing and naps are Doctor ordered. Seriously that sounds mighty fine to me.

I would love to work outside my bubble but that is a bridge to cross later. I have Government support in place and am blessed with supportive and helpful family and friends.

So there you go just a little bit some tips and ideas I have.

Unfortunately I have been pretty tired writing this so I hope most of this makes sense :)

Sandman getting some food booyah.



1 comment:

  1. I like the reference to the Game of Thrones! Spot on for calling it a political game. I find its much like snakes and ladders, some days you climb to the top of the board, think you did great in the interview and snake #99 bites you in the ass on your way down to square #3!
    I'm happy that you are putting full time into being healthy and happy X)

    ReplyDelete